Sunday, November 27, 2011

Boss-Town Sports

As many of you may know, I'm from the great city of Boston. I love everything about Boston. (OK, maybe not its politics, but still...) The highlight of my town is, without a doubt, its sports.

Seven championships in less than seven years, including at least one from all four teams.

Last time any Boston team ended a season with a losing record: 2007-08. The Celtics. The next season they won the championship with the then-newly formed Big Three.

The Patriots, Red Sox, and possibly Celtics teams in the past 5-10 years have represented some of the best franchises in any sport ever. Am I exaggerating? No.

What makes our sports so awesome? It would be hard to argue that it's our population size, given that Boston is around the 10-largest metro area in the US, and many of the metro areas that are larger than Boston have terrible sports teams.

Is it the amount we pay our players? I doubt it, given that only the Red Sox - and not the other three Boston teams - actually pay their players a lot more than the average payroll in their league.

I believe it is our fan base which makes Boston sports so awesome. If not, then I guess it must just be the "Luck of the Irish" that brings us so much success. Either way, I'm very excited to see that last night the Bruins won their 11th game out of 12 (after losing Friday night in a heartbreaking shootout to end their prior 10-game winning streak).

I hope to post happy news tomorrow about the Patriots. The game against the Eagles today should extremely easy. With a two-game winning streak and the best offense in the NFL, the Pats have what it takes to get past the Eagles shaky - though recently impressive - defense. I really hope I didn't just jinx it...

No comments:

Post a Comment