Thursday, November 24, 2011

Thanksgiving in Israel

Today is a today to be thankful. Today is a day on which - instead of whining, screaming, and complaining like we so often do - we appreciate what we already do have.

I am in Israel for almost a year studying at yeshiva. I am thankful for the opportunities which my yeshiva has provided to me to grow as a Jew and as a person in general. I am thankful that instead of completely overlooking the American holiday of Thanksgiving and considering it yet another "foreign, secular evil," our yeshiva decided to emphasize the positive focus of this holiday. We ate turkey for Thanksgiving "Dinner" at 12:30 pm, and then many of us played football for the next two hours. My day was incredible, and I am thankful to all my friends and rabbis for making it so nice.

There is no doubt that I wish I could be at home watching three football games in a row. However, at the same time, I get to appreciate something different today in Israel- the Torah. I appreciate everything that G-d gave us, and all the blessings He continues to give us every day. Instead of having today off to be lazy on my couch for 10 hours, we have today "on" to learn, grow in, and appreciate Torah.

I am thankful to my parents for giving me such an amazing upbringing and for supporting me through both my easy and hard times. I also appreciate that they are supporting me not only emotionally in my year of study in yeshiva, but also financially with both yeshiva and college. I don't know what I would do without my mom and dad.

So? Is that it? Will I never complain again? Is every day going to be a day of Thanksgiving?  This reminds me of a very similar question many Jews ask themselves during the Neilah prayer of Yom Kippur. However, today's question is different- it is much more basic. On Yom Kippur, we ask ourselves whether or not we can keep our ENTIRE religious life and personality in the high and spiritual place for the rest of our lives. Today, we only ask ourselves one thing: can we appreciate? Can we stop complaining and asking for more nonstop, and instead self-reflect and see how much we already have? I think so...

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

No comments:

Post a Comment